It’s almost been two weeks, but it feels like 20. I despise sitting on the couch. I want to go, go, go! I love to go grocery shopping, run errands, take walks, clean my house, play with my son, and cook. Oh how I love to cook! I like to use my son’s nap time to whip up dessert or start prepping for dinner. Chopping, mincing and slicing is like therapy to me. Free therapy that not only leaves me feeling refreshed and relaxed, but productive. This girl thrives on productivity and bed rest is so NOT productive; at least not in my sense of the word. I suppose I am being productive in keeping baby Allie cooking as long as possible, but I have so much more I need…and want…to do. Here’s just a taste of my mental to-do list…
- Wash the baby’s clothes. I hung them all up without washing them first. Rookie mistake.
- Organize the baby’s closet.
- Make sure Kellan’s baby book is up to date. (You know, before I never have time to update it ever, again!!)
- Begin baby Allie’s baby book. It’s staring at me from the kitchen table and has been since my baby shower.
- Pack my hospital bag. This seems like a luxury task as last go ’round I simply left for church and never came home. Somehow everything I needed ended up at the hospital when I needed it. That’s what husbands are for.
- Make photo books of Kellan’s 1st AND 2nd birthday. For BONUS points, do his 1st and 2nd Christmas as well! HA!
- Complete our taxes. Ugh.
Put the Mamaroo swing thing and double stroller together. Stat.Let’s be honest, I can’t do this. BJ? Dad?
- Write at LEAST six weeks of meal plans for Menu Therapy. Do I only have seven weeks MAX to do that? Yikes!
- Kellan needs an Easter outfit! I’m from the South and this is a MUST. Whether I make it off the couch to church with BJ and Kellan, he WILL look like a pastel Easter egg if it’s the last thing I do. BONUS points if I can get him and BJ to match (insert snicker…BJ would not approve).
- Get a present to Kellan from baby Allie. After the meltdown Kellan had building a bunny for Allie this weekend, we will be going the Amazon route for this one.
Whew! That’s a lot of stuff I have to get done from the couch, and those are just my “musts”. If I can add some pipe dreams to that list they would all involve food. There’s so much I’d like to cook it’s ridiculous. I mean let’s be honest, I have had plenty of time to binge-watch the Food Network, scroll through Pinterest and read every Bon Appetit mag I own cover to cover…twice. I have been inspired! So, since the chances of me getting up and cooking anything before this baby comes are slim to none, I thought I’d leave this list with you. This is what I would cook if I could cook. Some of the recipes just sound fun to tackle while others sound fun to eat. Maybe some will look good to you too and you will be inspired. If so please let me know how it goes and send me a photo…I would love to live vicariously through you!
I always want sushi when I’m pregnant, it’s such a bummer. During one of my afternoons watching Giada at Home my mouth was watering as I watched her prepare and throw a sushi party. How fun! Making your own sushi rolls is not nearly as daunting as you would think. All you really need is a bamboo roller and a sharp knife, and you can save a ton of time by getting pre made sushi rice from a local restaurant. Check out this tutorial from Hello Hue.
Rigatoni with Lemon-Chile Pesto and Grated Egg
I’ve confessed my love of pesto many times so of course this recipe called my name when it hit my inbox. This recipe is just interesting and I’m a pasta fanatic just like my husband and son. We would all three be in heaven with this on our dinner plate. I would probably sub in parmesan cheese because I’m not a huge fan of pecorino, but you make the call. Get the recipe at bonappetit.com.
Brussels Sprouts Pita Pizzas
This is one of my favorite recipes from last winter and I’m so sad I didn’t get to make it before the unfortunate bed rest. It’s delicious and even made my Brussels Sprouts hating parents and sister jump on the bandwagon. Shredded brussels, caramelized onions, sautéed leeks, bacon, and goat cheese…what’s not to like? See the old blog post for the recipe…and make sure to make enough for me!
Cinnamon Roll Cake
My parents are flying in this week! YAY!!!! 🙂 Normally I would have a list a mile long of all of the fun things we could do and places we should go eat, but looks like they’re just going to be helping out with Kellan while BJ works and I continue to hang out on…you guessed it…the couch. I found the recipe for this Cinnamon Roll Cake a few months back and thought it would make for a delicious breakfast next time we had overnight company. I’m going to try to talk my mom in to tackling it while she’s here. At least then I can get a pretty pic of it and enjoy a slice or seven with my morning coffee. Mmmmm, sounds amazing! You can get the recipe and a whole lot of other yummy goodness from this baking blog, Crunchy Creamy Sweet.
So that’s it. What I would cook if I could cook. It all looks delicious and sounds like fun to make…let me know if it is!