In my quest to shed any and all remaining baby weight, I’ve been looking for lighter weeknight meals. Last time I wrote about my weight loss goals, I still had ten pounds to go. Today it’s a much friendlier number– four measly pounds. Something tells me these four will try their darnedest to stick around as long as possible; I’m a pretty accommodating host and a lot of fun to be around after all. But I’m doing all I can to kick them to the curb. Well…all I can except maybe eat the occasional Bourbon Bacon Burger with Pimento Cheese, but I ran an extra two miles to even the score on that one.
These Asian Meatball Lettuce Wraps made their way to our kitchen table this week. The original recipe called for chicken, but I’m just not a fan (See ‘I Hate Chicken’). So I switched out the ground chicken for extra-lean ground beef, and felt very good about my choice. The meatballs were really delicious, bathing in the sticky Hoisin-Blackberry glaze. I also really love butter lettuce, and don’t really see how serving the meatballs in this way is any kind of sacrifice. It’s just smart and yummy!
I hope you’ll try these soon. They will absolutely be on next week’s meal plan, so get ready! Don’t forget- we’re running a HUGE special on annual subscriptions until August 1st. I’ve gotten such a big response, there are clearly a TON of people out there who need some help planning their weeknight dinners and I’m so happy to be the one to help them. If you’re interested in giving Menu Therapy a shot there’s never been a better time to sign up. Use the coupon code “ocladiesnightout” for an ANNUAL subscription and it will only cost you ten bucks for an entire year. Woo hoo! Remember, you only have until August 1st!
Asian Meatball Lettuce Wraps
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 1/2 pounds extra-lean ground beef
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions (white and green parts)
1 Tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
2 Tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 squirt Sriracha, to taste
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup blackberry preserves
2 tablespoons Sambal (optional for added heat)
1 head butter lettuce, leaves separated
toasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. In a bowl, mix together the milk and the breadcrumbs and let stand 5 to 10 minutes.
- Using only your fingers, gently combine beef, breadcrumb mixture, green onions, garlic, soy sauce, Sriracha and egg until just mixed.
- Roll into 24 equal sized meatballs using approximately 3 tablespoons of the the mixture per meatball.
- Place on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through.
- Meanwhile add hoisin sauce, blackberry preserves and Sambal to a small saucepan over medium heat. Let simmer for 10 minutes and then finish with salt and pepper, to taste.
- When meatballs are out of the oven, coat each one with the Hoisin-Blackberry glaze and top with toasted sesame seeds. Top separated butter lettuce leaves with two or three meatballs and serve.