These cupcakes have been on my to-do list since I was on bedrest with Allie. After a doctor’s appointment one day in February, BJ took me to our favorite bakery in the world, Susie Cakes. You see we used to only visit Susie Cakes when we were already up in north county. Now however, they have opened up a location right down the street from us. BJ goes twice a week. It might be a problem. But back in February it was still a real treat to stop in, so we did.
We shared a slice of their seasonal special, Banana Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Icing. It was decadent and delicious. I’m a sucker for banana-flavored anything, and just so happen to have one of the best banana bread recipes around, so I knew this would be something I would want to recreate.
I took my recipe for banana bread and merged it with another great cupcake recipe. Perfection! These could have passed as muffins and been eaten with no frosting at all…but where’s the fun in that? I piped on some homemade cream cheese frosting, topped the whole thing with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips, and died and went to heaven. These jokers are good! The banana bread-cupcake-muffin-whatever-it-is, is lovely; not overly sweet with nice warmth from the cinnamon swirling around in the background. I love the addition of chocolate chips and fluffy cream cheese frosting, because they both serve to pull it all together and take the cupcakes from good, to spectacular. Who doesn’t love a melty, chocolatey, surprise in their banana bread? I mean cupcake. Same thing, right?
So if you have some bananas that are quickly passing their prime on the countertop, go through your pantry and gather up everything else you’ll need to make these happen. Your friends and family will thank you. I took them to our Life Group last night and watched proudly as my two preggo friends devoured two each. I love feeding pregnant girls, they are the best! If there’s another time when a girl can eat two cupcakes without batting an eye, I’m not sure when it is. Unless I suppose you’re alone with your thoughts, two napping babies, and a cup of coffee. I’m not confessing anything here, I’m just imagining that a girl could get away with it then too. Especially if no one was watching. 😉
Banana Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
1 stick unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
½ cup packed light brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temperature
3 to 4 large very ripe bananas
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste (if you haven’t used this yet, please do ASAP!!)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup whole milk
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
mini chocolate chips, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners. This recipe will yield twelve to eighteen cupcakes.
- Whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mash the bananas until smooth and stir in milk and vanilla. Set aside.
- Using a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the softened butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes. With the mixer on low, add in the eggs one at a time, beating well between additions.
- In three or four batches, slowly add in the flour mixture, careful not to overmix but beating until just combined.
- Stir in the mashed banana mixture and chocolate chips by hand. Batter will be lumpy.
- Fill the muffin pans two-thirds of the way full and bake for 18 to 22 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the cupcake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before adding frosting.
Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick usalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
4 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the butter and the cream cheese. Slowly blend in the powdered sugar. Be careful to have the mixer on very low speed so that you don’t end up covered in powdered sugar. Add in vanilla and then beat until smooth and well-combined.
- Side note- the longer you beat the mixture, the lighter and fluffier your frosting will be!
- Assemble the cupcakes by topping each with cream cheese frosting and a sprinkling of mini chocolate chips.